[mapserver-users] Re: WMS and tiles cutting off

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:01:44 EDT 2010

Ok well, got a big update here.  I was able to switch it back to a 256x256
WMS tiled layer.  My problem was that the symbols were being clipped,
however, by using the openlayers "gutter" property, I was able to fix this
problem. I am using a 1.0 ratio, and the tiles seem to be loading in much
faster, and with a gutter value of 32 the clipping is completely gone.

For those that don't know, the gutter parameter is one that is a property of
the OpenLayers.Layer class.  This is the description:

{Integer} Determines the width (in pixels) of the gutter around image tiles
to ignore.  By setting this property to a non-zero value, images will be
requested that are wider and taller than the tile size by a value of 2 x
gutter.  This allows artifacts of rendering at tile edges to be ignored.
Set a gutter value that is equal to half the size of the widest symbol that
needs to be displayed.  Defaults to zero.  Non-tiled layers always have zero
gutter.

I am going to see if my client is satisfied with the speed, and I will
continue trying different things to optimize, obviously if anyone has any
suggestions they are welcome =).  Thanks a lot for the help so far everyone.

-Adam