[mapserver-users] Compiling on CentOS 5

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue May 25 08:29:47 EDT 2010

Gerald Creager wrote:
> I'm having to reinstall Mapserver after some significant hardware
> issues. I was perusing the documentation and find several explicit
> entries for installing on Windows.
>
> For Linux, there's the suggestion to use FGS (used it before, isn't
> latest version, but will probably work), or Debian. Sorry, guys, ubuntu
> is a debian variant, so while it's nice that there's GIS systems for
> debian, they are, to my mind, the same.
>
> My question: Where's the information on dependencies to compile and use
> Mapserver? If they reside in the pdf documentation, I've tried to snag
> it, and the pdf appears damaged: unreadable in eVince or Acrobat reader.
>
> Looking for suggestions on how I might proceed.

Gerry,

Here are some of my comments:

- FGS version 9.5 contains MapServer 5.6.3 (the latest MapServer
release), I use it often and recommend it
- documentation for compiling MapServer on Unix systems is found at:
http://www.mapserver.org/installation/unix.html
- if you feel like giving back to the community, as you travel down the
compilation path you could record your steps in the MapServer wiki, so
others can learn from your steps: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna