[mapserver-users] Compiling on CentOS 5

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue May 25 12:46:29 EDT 2010

Thanks, Jeff: More in-line, below...

On 5/25/10 7:29 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Gerald Creager wrote:
>> I'm having to reinstall Mapserver after some significant hardware
>> issues. I was perusing the documentation and find several explicit
>> entries for installing on Windows.
>>
>> For Linux, there's the suggestion to use FGS (used it before, isn't
>> latest version, but will probably work), or Debian. Sorry, guys,
>> ubuntu is a debian variant, so while it's nice that there's GIS
>> systems for debian, they are, to my mind, the same.
>>
>> My question: Where's the information on dependencies to compile and
>> use Mapserver? If they reside in the pdf documentation, I've tried to
>> snag it, and the pdf appears damaged: unreadable in eVince or Acrobat
>> reader.
>>
>> Looking for suggestions on how I might proceed.
>>

> Gerry,
>
> Here are some of my comments:
>
> - FGS version 9.5 contains MapServer 5.6.3 (the latest MapServer
> release), I use it often and recommend it

The wiki link to FGS needs to be updated. When I followed the link, it
was for 5.4, which I can use, but since we crashed so much, I wanted to
go ahead and get current.

> - documentation for compiling MapServer on Unix systems is found at:
> http://www.mapserver.org/installation/unix.html

I just *knew* it had to be around somewhere. However the PDF link
produced a bad download several times for the Mapserver docs... That
might bear looking into. I tried it at home, even using several methods
to download it, and two readers to look at the results, then, last
night, I tried again from home and still failed. Is Mapserver allergic
to Texans, perhaps?

In the end, I fell back to what I thought I remembered from years past,
and that (surprisingly) worked. It was a bit more work than having the
instructions in front of you, but it's good to know I could still do it.

> - if you feel like giving back to the community, as you travel down the
> compilation path you could record your steps in the MapServer wiki, so
> others can learn from your steps: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/

I'll try to get started on that today. It's been awhile since I've
contributed anything save moral support to the community, so it's time I
did some good.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983