[mapserver-users] placement of labels from two different layers that have the same feature shape

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Wed May 26 10:59:14 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am creating a map for parcels and lots.  If possible I would like to label
both layers at the same time.  However, since many of the parcels and lots
have the same, or similar feature shapes the lot labels are not always
displayed.  How can I make sure that labels from both layers get displayed
inside their respective polygons, while still utilizing label collision
avoidance / detection?

I have already looked at a couple keywords:
Position:   Does not move the lot layer far enough away so the label still is
under the envelope from the parcel label
Label offset:  I was able to label both layers at the same time.  However,
there were many cases where the label was displayed outside of the lot
polygon.
Wrap:  apparently when wrap is used the blank space is still considered part
of the label envelope, so even if I both labels could have fit the second
label did not show up as label collision avoidance already placed a label in
that area.
Force / wrap combination:  I could use a force / wrap combination.  However,
the results might look bad on an area with a small parcel and lot.

Thanks

Mark Volz