[mapserver-users] MapServer as fast-cgi

Kai Behncke Kai-Behncke at gmx.de
Sun May 30 10:10:59 EDT 2010

Dear users,

I try to set up Mapserver with fast-cgi, but so far it doesn`t work as it should do
(well I think it doesn`t, I`m also not so sure how to test ist).

* I have succesfully compiled MapServer 5.6.3 with fast-cgi (on Debian 5.0)

* Apache runs with mod_fcgid

* In the mapfile I have implemented in the layers  "PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"

But some steps I don`t understand:

In the apache-conf I set:

ScriptAlias /fcgi-bin/ "/etc/apache2/cgi-bin/mapserv"
<Location "/fcgi-bin">
Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
SetHandler fcgid-script
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
#FastCgiConfig -initial-env PROJ_LIB=/usr/share/proj -initial-env #LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib #-appConnTimeout 60 -idle-timeout 60 -init-start-delay 1  -minProcesses 2 #-maxClassProcesses 30 -startDelay 5

</Location>

a) If I comment in FastCGIConfig ...... I always get from the Apache:
"Invalid command 'FastCgiConfig', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included...." ??

What might be the reason for that?

b) I start the Apache without the "FastCGIConfig" in the apache-conf-file
 and I run the MapServer as:

http://www.xyz.de/fcgi-bin/?map=/path_to_my/mapfile.map

...this should be the way to run MapServer as fast-cgi, shouldn`t it?

c) I thought, if I run MS with "Debug 5" the layers should be produced much faster, right?
But the log-file doesn`t show any difference betwenn MS as cgi or fcgi, this might be because of
the missing FastCgiConfig in Apache, right?

Can anybody give me a hint please?

Thank you in advance, Kai