[mapserver-users] GD and PHP 5.3

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Sat Nov 13 07:38:58 EST 2010

Hello!

I have compiled Mapserver and PHP/MapScript on FreeBSD many times over
many years, but now is the first time I'm trying this with PHP 5.3.

In the past, when compiling the GD extension for PHP, I have always
compiled it with external GD library. It is my understanding that
since Mapserver is also compiled with the GD library support, this
approach is necessary since otherwise I'd end up with symbol conflicts
between gd.so and php_mapscript.so.

I tried the same with PHP 5.3, but loading the gd extension results in error:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/php/20090626/gd.so: Undefined
symbol "gdJpegGetVersionString"

If I compile the GD extension with PHP's bundled GD library, this
error does not happen.

How are other people handling this these days? Is using external GD
library in PHP still a requirement, or is this no longer a problem?

--
Toomas Aas