[mapserver-users] Mapscript vs fastcgi

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Nov 15 21:08:16 EST 2010

On 10-11-16 9:51 AM, Ian Walberg wrote:
> We are testing an application which currently uses curl to call lighttpd
> (with fastcgi) and simple map files.
>
> When we do the same via the command line using the same map files but
> mapscript to render the image the difference is speed is huge, 4-5 time
> longer using php/mapscript.
>
>  From a first look the Drawing Label Cache is one of the main areas
> which is taking much longer, say 40-50 seconds instead of 2-4 seconds!
>
> Just about to start looking in more detail but hoping someone out there
> knows why the huge difference.

Hi Ian,

I'd say if you have a mapfile that is taking a minute to draw that you
have a problem.  If I were you I would use shp2img with the debug option
to see layer draw times, and focus on the layer that is causing the
trouble at that scale.  If I was stuck on the cause of the problem, I
might email this mailing list the layer text from the mapfile and a
description of the data source, and maybe someone can find the issue.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/