[mapserver-users] Re: Using mapserver on windows in production

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 16:53:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM, joel collins <jconline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for the responses.  Perhaps I am overthinking my problem.
>
> Lets say my only requirement was to get mapserver running with the
> latest versions of PHP and apache.  How would I go about accomplishing
> this?  Would I download ms4w, apache, and php, and try to get them all
> to talk to each other?  Or does ms4w have some special configuration
> that only the version of apache that comes bundled with it will work
> out of the box?

As Jeff noted, you can just use MS4W and that's surely the path of
least resistance. Or you can download and install Apache and PHP
separately and just use the mapserv binaries in cgi-bin from the MS4W
distribution, and maybe the http*.conf files as guidance for your own
setup. Having setup a lot of MapServers over the last 10 years it is
my personal experience that Apache is easier to setup and maintain
than IIS. I'm not sure why MS4W has the warnings that it is primarily
for development and not hardened for production use, but I wouldn't
let those warnings discourage you from using it on a production
server.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood