[mapserver-users] WMS Request for a single point?

Robert Hicks robhyx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:49:40 EDT 2010

Thanks Bob, I think the second idea is more for what I am looking at.
The styling (or adding the push pin icon) is already done, I know how
to do that. The bigger issue is requesting the image with the point in
the right location without a backing datastore (or at least one with
the specific point). I suppose I could have a table which I populate
on the fly, but how do I request just that one point from it and not
other points from past requests?

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Bob Basques
<Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:
> There are a couple of ways of doing this, one is to use a Client that
> supports layer stacking in the interface, like GeoMoose or Openlayers, and
> call separate images and then combine them printing.  You would need to set
> up the approriate environment for this approach and this might not be cost
> effective to you.
>
> Another approach is to apply a symbol via a Mapserver served WMS service.
>  You could make the WMS call to a specific service name that has the PushPin
> inserted into the center of the image (on top of the background layers you
> specify) and already composited for output into a single image.  You would
> need to call this as a separate WMS call however.
>
> Going back to the Layered approach, you can also set up a marking system in
> the client where3 the client decide to add the pushpin, and then print from
> the client, GeoMoose can accomodate this approach as well, but it's a much
> higher level of implemnentation.
>
> bobb

> Hello all! Ok, this is probably a long shot but, is there a way to
> request an image from Mapserver that is just a point? The idea is I
> have another larger (reference) map image and I want to place a push
> pin on top of it in a specified point. It has to be a WMS call so that
> I can take the image and merge it with the other larger map into one
> so that it can be put into a PDF. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> web http://www.hyxspace.com
> aim hyx1138