[mapserver-users] Shptree fails with biggish shapefile

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Oct 20 08:07:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have been trying to create an index with shptree for a rather big
shapefile.  The size of the .shp part is about 1800 KB.  Shptree seems
to run OK, it does not throw any errors and Windows task manager shows a
steady growing memory usage.  Then shptree stops without warnings and
memory is freed.  Unfortunately no .qix file is written on the disk.  I
made a test by selecting a part of the big shapefile into a smaller one
and for that I could create .qix index normally.  Therefore I believe
that the data is OK and shptree fails because of the big shapefile size.
Have anyone else experienced the same and if this perhaps something
worth creating a new ticket on issue tracker?
I am still playing with GDAL 1.7.0dev, FWTools 2.4.2, released
2009/06/24.

-Jukka Rahkonen-