[mapserver-users] Mapcache question.

forums forums at craniumjuice.com
Sun Dec 4 14:13:26 EST 2011

Hi:

I hope this is the proper place to ask questions about Mapcache since it's
been moved into the trunk of Mapserver.

I'm wondering if Mapcache can help with a particular setup, and if so maybe
some advice or direction on where to start?

Here's the setup.  Every 5 minutes a new set of GeoTiffs are created in a
new directory.  I create a tileindex for the GeoTiffs and use those in the
map layer.  Every hour, anything more than 5hours old gets deleted.
I have a single mapfile setup.

The general layer is setup like:

    LAYER
        NAME 'IMG1'
        METADATA
            'wms_title'           'IMG 1'
            'wms_srs'             'EPSG:4326'
            'wms_extent'          'MINX MINY MAXX MAXY'
            'default_targetdate' ''
            'targetdate_validation_pattern' '^[0-9]{12}$'
        END
        STATUS ON
        TILEINDEX '/PATH/TO/IMG/DIR/%targetdate%/TILEINDEX.shp'
        TILEITEM 'Location'
        TYPE RASTER
    END

I'm currently loading these images as overlays for Googlemaps. using the
mode=tile&tilemode=gmaps...&targetdate=2011...etc.
Problem is it's too slow. I end up loading hundreds of images, as I
basically create an animation using sequential times.

I'd like to be able to have a single mapcache config file, that will pass
the date through to pull the proper shapefile, and have the result cached
so next time it's loading off the disk.  MOST of the images end up being
blank/transparent tiles.

Is Mapcache a good choice for this?
The front end for this is just a simple GoogleMaps viewport, but ends up
currently in WMS fashion but could be).

Thanks for any help I can get.

Jerl