[mapserver-users] Raster rendering performance and zoom levels

Ian Walberg ian.walberg at airborne.aero
Tue Dec 13 18:21:51 EST 2011

We have an application which is using php  mapscript to render maps at a
number of different zoom levels, these zoom levels can be fixed and the
maps are centered on a specific location.

So we calculate the extent based on the zoom level and the current
required center lat/long.

The raster imagery we are using is approx. the same resolution as the
max zoom (smallest extent) and in this case the map rendering is the
fastest.

As we zoom out and the extent increases the map rendering is slower, we
are assuming this is because the imagery is being resized which is
processor/memory intensive.

Now the question,  how do we create imagery sets for each zoom level so
that they are the required resolution and no re-sizing is required?

We are using mapserver without a client to generate the images on a
server.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Ian