[mapserver-users] mapserver compiled with jpeg v7 and GDAL with internal JPEG results in core dumps (SIGSEGV)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Dec 14 18:51:12 EST 2011

Le jeudi 15 décembre 2011 00:41:25, Ethan Alpert a écrit :
> I've been running down a mapserver core dump for most of the day. It
> appears that when I compile GDAL 1.8.1 with it's internal JPEG library
> and mapserver links to libjpeg.so.7 BAD things happen.
>

> I tried compiling mapserver with -without-jpeg but configure errors out:
>

> configure: checking whether we should include JPEG support...
>
> configure: error: "Could not find jpeglib.h or
> libjpeg.a/libjpeg.so/libjpeg.dylib in
> /dg/local/apps/osgeo_pack/source/build/mapserver-6.0.1/no."
>

> It appears that when linking mapserver GDAL's internal version of
> jpeg_CreateDecompress is not used during a GDALOpenShared. Instead the
> libjpeg linked to mapserver is used which in this case is jpeg 7.
>

> GDAL dies horribly.
>

> Not sure what to do about this. Going to think about it overnight.

You can not safely mix libraries of different versions. There's absolutely no
guarantee that GDAL will use the internal libjpeg if an application links to
GDAL and another version of libjpeg. The best is to rebuild GDAL with external
libjpeg support, so that both GDAL and mapserver use the same version of
libjpeg.