[mapserver-users] WFS fails is PostGIS table has capital characters in the name

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Dec 15 08:24:40 EST 2011

On 11-12-15 1:29 AM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that Mapserver WFS fails if the PostGIS source table has capitalised characters in the name. For example with table named Natura2000_Suomi_2010 the DescibeFeatureType fails and error suggests that Mapserver is usin table name
> "natura2000_suomi_2010" in the query instead.
>
> [Thu Dec 15 07:22:38 2011].109270 msPostGISLayerGetItems(): Query error. Error (ERROR:  relation "natura2000_suomi_2010" does not exist
> LINE 1: select * from Natura2000_Suomi_2010 where false limit 0
>
> My Mapserver version is 6.0.1 on Ubuntu Linux.

Although Mike already answered this:

I just went through a client's PG database with mixed-case fieldnames,
having to do WFS queries, and I can tell you that I always always always
make sure the query works through ogrinfo first (and yes I had to do
many crazy single/double quotes to make these queries work).  Once I
have a working syntax through the ogrinfo utility (and its -sql switch)
then I port that into the MapServer mapfile.

Short answer: always use ogrinfo first (with its -sql switch to
duplicate the query).

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna