[mapserver-users] MapServer Fails

SixDegrees paulcarlisle at comcast.net
Fri Jun 10 04:26:44 EDT 2011

We have several NITF images that can be successfully translated to, say, PNG
or GTiff format using a gdal_translate command similar to the following:

   gdal_translate -ot Byte -of GTiff -scale -b 3 -b 2 -b 1myNitf.ntf
~/myGTif.tif

However, we are having trouble getting MapServer to serve these images. We
get what looks like a single pixel, greatly enlarged to fill the entire
returned image file, showing one or two colors from the input image. We have
adjusted the BBox to encompass larger areas with no success. MapServer is
configured at DEBUG level 5, both CPL_DEBUG and PROJ_DEBUG are enabled, but
no error messages occur during processing; the same is true when running
mapserv on the command line, feeding it the query string from the browser
request - no errors, and an image consisting of a block of one or two solid
colors is returned.

Any thoughts on A) how to configure the mapfile, B) how to further
investigate what is going on? It might be useful to be able to see the
underlying GDAL calls being made, for instance, or the various parameters -
in particular, the bounding box being passed - or C) any other guidance on
how to proceed in debugging this problem?