[mapserver-users] Re: symbol position moving when using angle

Robert Hollingsworth reh2 at prodigy.net
Tue Jun 21 13:16:46 EDT 2011

Bart,
re: recent comments about ability to POSITION a symbol in mapserver 6, (sorry, my message probably won't insert into the message thread nicely)

I wonder if any offsetting behavior would cure this problem for a ttf symbol.  Or another way to state it, I wonder if there is an inconsistency in mapserver on how it places and rotates ttf symbols.

Seems we really want this behavior:

+-----+
|  #  |
|  #  |
|  #  |
|  X  |   <-- Place the cell where the X is directly over the
|     |       POINT object's x,y location
|  #  |              AND also rotate the symbol around X
|     |
+-----+
^

and DON'T rotate the ttf symbol around this point, as appears to be the current case...

also, from your original sample image, it appears the symbol has a bit of this:
+-------+

|  #    |

|  #    |

|  #    |

|  #    |

|       |

|  #    |

|       |

+-------+
so, one might actually want to be able to SPECIFY an x,y offset within the character cell on which the symbol is PLACED and a separate spec for an x,y offset within the char cell on which to ROTATE  (with reasonable defaults, such as, both being the geometric center of the char cell)?

Robert

Hi Robert,

thanks for your answer, indeed that must be the explanation.

However, the ESRI software (ArcMap in this case) is doing what we expect
with the same true type font.

Best regards,
Bart