[mapserver-users] MapServer securing .map files

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Mar 7 09:42:54 EST 2011

All,

GeoMoose is another product to take a look at.  It's possible to set up individual layers with their respective data custodial access parameters.   Since all layers are abstracted to thier own MAP file, the layers themselves can be managed separately (or in groups) themselves as well.   We use a folder hierarchy for this type of user access control as well as who can control publishing tasks.  While GeoMoose doesn't control the access authentication directly, it's publishing storage scheme is very conducive to implementing a control structure down to the layer level, especially for roll your own authentication situations.  We stuff all of our data into WebDAV for example, which has all sort of authentication methods available.

bobb

>>> Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

MapServer has no built in support for securing data by users. If your
needs are not too complicated then it should be easy to implement
map-level security in your PHP and JavaScript application code. If you
have more advanced users/roles requirements then you may want to have a
look at http://geoprisma.org/

Actually, I see that geoprisma.org seems quite slow today. You could
also have a look at the following demo page which also includes a short
intro to GeoPrisma under the [About GeoPrisma] tab:
http://dev4g.mapgears.com/geoprisma/demo/

Daniel

On 11-03-06 06:06 AM, tigana.fluens at gmail.com wrote:
> What are the best practices when relating application data to MapServer
> data? If I have a database of users, and each user owns a specific map,
> what is the best way (also secure of course) of calling those maps (I'm
> assuming the .map files are the ones needed) that a specific user is
> related to? Given that:
>
> - Tom has map of his real estate
> - Mark has map of his farm
> - Web app is a PHP app that uses OpenLayers as an interface to call
> MapServer
>
> How do I manage restrictions, i.e. security?

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/