[mapserver-users] QuadTree Index problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 20 10:42:35 EDT 2011

On 11-05-20 10:30 AM, Forest wrote:
> Hello,everyone.
> I am using the Mapserver to deploy a webgis system.And I've used the shp2tree
> tool to generate .qix File.
> When I ZoomOut my web map,I found that,the more I zoomOut,Mapserver loads
> vector data more slow.Then I go to see the source code, I found that when the
> extent is bigger,it will search from the root to the bottom of the quadtree.
> Is there anyway so solve the problem?And Is this a bug?
> Wait for ur answers,thank you!

Forest,

This is the expected behavior.  The typical approach to this problem is
to produce a new "reduced resolution" shapefile with less refined features
and less important features discarded and then use this as a distinct layer
in your mapfile.  The "full resolution" shapefile would be used at some
scales and the simplified shapefile was be used at other scales.  There
are keywords you can place in Map LAYERs to restrict the layers to only
be used at particular scales.

Best regards,