[mapserver-users] Mapserver 6 WMS / PostGIS Problem

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun May 22 07:34:26 EDT 2011

On 11-05-20 2:35 PM, Rob McCulley wrote:
> I’m trying to upgrade to Mapserver 6, but I’m having some difficulty
> with my PostGIS layers. I’ve made all of the style / symbology changes
> required by Version 6, as well as adding the “wms_enable_request” “*”
> line to the WEB section. My raster and shapefile layers work fine. Any
> mapfile that has a postgis layer won’t work at all. On a GetCapabilities
> request, the cgi executable just churns away at 100% CPU usage, but
> never produces a result. A GetMap request produces the same result. I
> running on windows 7, and I’ve tried the binaries from both MS4W as well
> as the ones available from Tamas. I also tried to roll my own, but all
> returned the same results.
>
> It doesn’t appear to be a problem with the mapfile or the postgis
> access, because shp2img produces images just fine. It’s only WMS
> requests that don’t work.
>
> An example mapfile is below. It works fine with shp2img, but hangs on
> any WMS request.

I just tested a postgis layer (PostgreSQL 8.4.1, PostGIS 1.4.0)
displayed in MapServer 6.0.0 with MS4W 3.0.2 (and the 6.0 add-on), and I
have no problems with a WMS GetCapabilities request.

My advice is to install this on a fresh machine and re-test (maybe
another PG dll is being used by mistake or something).  And also follow
each step suggested by Daniel.

Happy long weekend to all in Canada.

-jeff

--