[mapserver-users] Cairo and text elements

Jefferson Williams jefferson.d.williams at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 15:26:17 EDT 2011

For some years now, I have been using PHP MapScript with my own code to make
SVG maps for use on Wikipedia.  Since these are static maps, I typically
tweak them with an editor (moving or editing labels, re-positioning or
re-sizing highway shields, et cetera) to make the maps look as good as
possible.

Upon upgrading to MapServer 6.0.1, I found that with Cairo handling the SVG
output, I can no longer modify the labels.  It also makes the SVG files
about three times larger in this application.  I understand the rationale
that I've read on this, in terms of ensuring that an SVG looks consistent
across many different viewers; but it's not ideal for all applications.

I'm wondering if there are any plans for MapServer/Cairo to allow the option
of producing text through <text> elements.  For now I will probably move
back to MapScript 5.6, but some of the new features in 6.0 would be very
useful.

--

Jeff Williams