AW: [mapserver-users] Sporadically "Cannot create OCI handlers"

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLKM Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de
Wed Oct 26 06:18:24 EDT 2011

> @Andreas: I tried without close_connection=defer, and the
> error doesn't occur anymore. So it seems like it is solved,
> but as you said, kinda hard to debug. The mapserver version
> is 5.6.3 and it supports fastcgi.

Opening an Oracle connection is rather slow compared to the time MS
renders the data. Without this option a fresh connection to the DB is
created for every request and may be even for every layer using such a
connection. Things tend to be rather slow so I don't think the problem
is solved. Disabling the option just helps to locate the source of the
error.
Do you _use_ FastCGI or only the plain CGI method? I just talked to a
colleague and he told me that this problem disappeared with MS v6.0.1
and so seems to be solved there. So you might want to give it a try.