[mapserver-users] Constraining label position

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Mon Feb 20 09:27:24 EST 2012

On 02/14/2012 06:17 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> google: mapserver geomtransform
>
> this will let you fix the label point to the centroid of the object or
> some other positions.
>
> The issue is that the label point is generally calculated based on the
> geometry of the object as clipped to the view port. So the geometry
> changes based on the view clipping and this causes the label point to
> also change. the geomtransform works on the original data and so the
> label point becomes fixed.

No I can't get this to work, perhaps I don't understand the syntax of
geomtransform. Can you give me an example of fixing a label to the
center point of a rectangle, without shifting it when the rectangle
crosses the viewport? My mapfile looks:

connectiontype postgis
connection ""
data the_rect from bnds
labelitem rect_id
style
   color 0 0 0
end
label
   color 0 0 255
end

I put a few geotransforms within the label and within the style objects,
but the label always shifts near the margin of the viewport.

Thanks,

Jan