[mapserver-users] Mapserver + regex license

Josef Bicik jbicik at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 08:46:47 EST 2012

Hi All,

I have a question about Mapserver licensing. From the documentation
and source code I understand that Mapserver uses the regex 0.12
library, which is released under the GNU GPL v2 license. Can Mapserver
actually be released under an MIT-style license when it contains
portions of code released under GPL? I am not extending mapserver on
its own, however, am considering using mapscript in a commercial
application. I wonder if I would have to release my application using
mapscript under GPL v2 license. Can anybody please explain me this
licensing issue?

Best regards, Josef