[mapserver-users] Mapserver + regex license

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 18 11:09:14 EST 2012

On 12-01-18 07:54 AM, Lime, Steve D (DNR) wrote:
> I'm hoping someone with experience in this area can chime in. It's a convoluted
> subject for sure. MapServer doesn't contain code from any regex library, it uses
> an API that a few regex libs support so you can actually compile against others.
>
> Steve

Steve / Josef,

First, as Steve suggests the issue only arises if you build with
the GPL'ed regex 0.12.  Second, requirements for redistribution of
source in the GPLv2 only apply if you distribute MapServer binaries
to clients or users (as opposed to putting up a service on your
own servers that outsiders use).  Third, the redistribution of
source requirements is normally considered to only apply to code
linked into the executable.  While this is a bit of a grey area,
it would not normally apply to the PHP/Python/Perl scripts using
the mapscript api.

So you are likely in the clear.

Best regards,