[mapserver-users] Re: Mapserver + regex license

jbicik jbicik at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 04:35:45 EST 2012

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your replies and clarifications. Your are right that
Mapserver on its own does not use GNU regex. The MS4W windows build seems to
use it
(http://maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=README_INSTALL.html#mapserver-build-environment).
I might get in touch with the MS4W maintainers to clarify their license: "In
general MS4W is licensed under an MIT/X style license".

As you have all pointed out, Mapserver for Windows can be quite easily built
with other non-GPL implementations of regex. I did not realise this from the
Build instructions on Mapserver's website
(http://www.mapserver.org/installation/win32.html). However, the nmake.opt
file gives a hint that this can be done. I was successful with the PHP 5.3.1
regex (http://museum.php.net/php5/php-5.3.1.tar.bz2). As someone mentioned
in the dev mailing list recently, the regex from PHP 5.3.9 cannot be used so
easily since the latest regex code includes some other PHP-related files. I
have not yet tried the PCRE implementation Norman kindly suggested in his
reply.

Frank, I very much appreciate your explanation of the requirements of GPL v2
license. This sounds very reassuring for the commercial application I had in
mind!

All the best, Josef