[mapserver-users] Base map data for WMS

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:00:33 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM, thomas bonfort
<thomas.bonfort at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmDataUbuntu you
> have detailed instructions for how to setup mapserver as a wms server
> for openstreetmap imagery.
> As the basemap rendering isn't specially light on server ressources I
> would recommend using a tile cache and not expose the wms service
> directly. Mapcache can assemble the cached tiles to serve complete wms
> getmap requests should some of your clients not support tiled requests
> (see http://www2.terriscope.fr/geocache/demo/wms for a possible
> rendering style, you can select the "singletile" layer for untiled
> getmap requests).

for keeping things even much easier, and without the need to create a
dedicated GIS infrastructure, I think Reinoud could just start caching
the OSM service (for example with MapProxy, MapCache, GeoWebCache,
TileCache, there is a wide choice).
This should be compatible with the OSM license AFAIK.

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net
twitter: @capooti