[mapserver-users] Base map data for WMS

Reinoud Bokhorst reinoud.bokhorst at bmtargoss.com
Wed Mar 7 05:13:40 EST 2012

Thank you. Yes, I was planning to use a tile cache for this service. I am not new to MapServer but
have never used OSM or tile caching and am not particularly experienced in styling, so I have many
questions now. But I'll first study the documentation in the answers!

On 03/07/2012 10:16 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Here http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmDataUbuntu you
> have detailed instructions for how to setup mapserver as a wms server
> for openstreetmap imagery.
> As the basemap rendering isn't specially light on server ressources I
> would recommend using a tile cache and not expose the wms service
> directly. Mapcache can assemble the cached tiles to serve complete wms
> getmap requests should some of your clients not support tiled requests
> (see http://www2.terriscope.fr/geocache/demo/wms for a possible
> rendering style, you can select the "singletile" layer for untiled
> getmap requests).
>
> --
> thomas
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 09:29, Reinoud Bokhorst
> <reinoud.bokhorst at bmtargoss.com>  wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Until now I have been using the public Demis, Metacarta, Google Maps
>> services as base map providers in my WMS clients. Since our company creates
>> commercial services, I don't want to be dependent any longer on those
>> because:
>> - availability is never guaranteed
>> - can not use those off-line
>> - license restrictions a la Google Maps prohibits use for closed services
>>
>> So I am keen to start hosting our own base map WMS server containing a good
>> resolution world map to start with. Later local maps for smaller areas can
>> be added. The world map should be something like Demis with layers
>> coastlines, borders, bathymetry, topography, place names, inland waters,
>> main roads and place names.
>>
>> I could buy a WMS server including world map data, e.g. Demis or ArcIMS but
>> I don't really want that. We already use GeoServer and MapServer and would
>> rather add world map data. So I could:
>> 1. buy world map data
>> 2. create world map myself by assembling freely available data (gshhs,
>> etopo, vmap, srtm, ...).
>>
>> I am afraid (2) will cost a lot of time. Regarding (1) I already found world
>> data for sale from DM Solutions and ThinkGeo, are there others? Which is
>> better?
>>
>> There is surprisingly little information on the net about this issue, I
>> guess most people are either using public services or using commercial
>> packages.
>>
>> My question is a general one: I wondered if anybody has encountered the same
>> problem and what solution has been chosen, what data sources when creating a
>> map yourself, other commercial data, what data is better than other, etc.
>> All comments welcome!
>>
>> Reinoud Bokhorst

Reinoud Bokhorst
Advisor Oceanography&  ICT

Tel:	    +31 (0)527 242 299
Fax:	    +31 (0)527 242 016
Website:	www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS b.v., Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT, Marknesse, The Netherlands

(Postal address : PO Box 61, 8325 ZH, Vollenhove, The Netherlands)

Registered in The Netherlands, Registered no. 39060160.

Unless otherwise agreed by BMT ARGOSS in writing, all  work, services, goods or products supplied by BMT ARGOSS shall be subject to and governed by BMT ARGOSS’s own terms and conditions which are available for inspection from BMT ARGOSS on request.

E-mail confidentiality notice and disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor accept liability for statements which are those of the author and clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.

Please consider the environmental impacts of printing this email, and only do so if really necessary