[mapserver-users] Restricted WMS access

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu May 31 09:01:10 PDT 2012

On 12-05-28 9:34 AM, Alberto Najera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to have a restricted (user id and password required) WMS
> service through Mapserver?  If so, how can this be done?  I have searched
> the documentation but had not been able to find if this is possible.

Hello Alberto,

In case nobody has said this yet: you can also use frameworks on top of
MapServer to handle WMS/OWS authentication, and here is a starting list
for you to examine:

- Mapbender: (been around a long long time and has a wonderful amount of
OWS functionality) http://www.mapbender.org/Mapbender_Wiki
- Geoprisma: http://geoprisma.org/site/index.php
- secureOWS: https://github.com/camptocamp/secureOWS
- GeoShield: http://istgeo.ist.supsi.ch/site/projects/geoshield