[mapserver-users] fast cgi MapServer (version 6.0.3) vs cgi with awms getmap request

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLKM Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de
Fri Nov 9 00:16:59 PST 2012

>> Once the request is done the the connection
>> will be closed.
> I thought that setting allows to open the db connection only
> once , keep it open until all layers data are read and will
> prevent closing and opening connections in between layers ?

That's right. You can query more than one layer per GetMap request and
MapServer will open the database connection only once for all layers
involved. But once the request is done AFAIK the database connection
will be closed.

> I searched the list and the MapServer doc about the Apache ? Module
> mod_mapserver, however I could not find almost any reference
> to it other than it is on the wish list for v 6.2 ? Does it already
> exist in MapServer 6.0.3

The module is only available in the 6-2 branch and should be build when
supplying the --with-apache-module switch and configuration should be a
snippet in the apache config:

  <Location "/wms" >
    Mapfile /path/to/wms.map
  </Location>

But I'm sure it's not well tested and only supports WxS services. You
might ask Thomas Bonfort in what stage it is. Even if it's currently
not suitable for productive use you might give it a try and provide some
feedback. If it can solve your performance issues it might get more
attention by the developers.

HTH