[mapserver-users] PHP-Mapscript and PHP Apache DSO - any progress?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 20 12:45:12 PST 2012

William,

As Armin wrote, it seems that using PHP as an Apache DSO with the
pre-fork MPM would be the way to go. I don't remember seeing reports of
issues with that combination in quite a while (I mean several years, so
much that we had forgotten about those issues from the old days).

Daniel

On 12-11-20 1:37 PM, Armin Burger wrote:
> William
>
> I cannot say anything for Mac OS in this respect. But at least for Linux
> running Apache in the classical pre-fork MPM I did not experience
> problems with PHP-MapScript running as an Apache DSO. Also some stress
> tests with benchmarking using multiple WMS requests with on MapScript
> OWS as server backend did not cause problems.
>
> I sometimes noticed some irregular, strange, and difficult to reproduce
> problems with MS 6.0 and PHP Mapscript (Apache or CGI segfaults), but
> that was independent of PHP with Apache DSO or as CGI, and this never
> ever happened with MS 5.x.
>
> armin
>

> On 15/11/2012 04:52, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> It's my understanding that when running PHP-Mapscript with PHP as an
>> Apache DSO, under heavy loads it can randomly hiccup/trip/crash or
>> otherwise not perform correctly.  So I've been maintaining an OS X
>> PHP-CGI package to go along with my MapServer package.
>>
>> Is this still a problem?  Maybe I missed a fix for this?  Or is it
>> being worked on (or not being worked on)?  Or is it an unsolvable
>> problem (maybe due to the nature of a DSO)?
>>
>> I'm thinking about simplifying my OS X GIS/carto stack and dropping my
>> PHP-CGI package in favor of the OS X system PHP-DSO (a bit old) or
>> some other better-maintained PHP package for OS X (which will likely
>> be a DSO).
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."
>>
>> - Ford Prefect

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/