[mapserver-users] PHP-Mapscript and PHP Apache DSO - any progress?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Nov 20 17:05:51 PST 2012

Google to the rescue.  So it's a build option for Apache 2.2.  It looks like Apache in OS X (10.6+) uses prefork.  So I guess we're good to go on this.

On Nov 20, 2012, at 6:41 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> What's this "pre-fork MPM"?
>
> On Nov 20, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>
>> William,
>>
>> As Armin wrote, it seems that using PHP as an Apache DSO with the pre-fork MPM would be the way to go. I don't remember seeing reports of issues with that combination in quite a while (I mean several years, so much that we had forgotten about those issues from the old days).
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>> On 12-11-20 1:37 PM, Armin Burger wrote:
>>> William
>>>
>>> I cannot say anything for Mac OS in this respect. But at least for Linux
>>> running Apache in the classical pre-fork MPM I did not experience
>>> problems with PHP-MapScript running as an Apache DSO. Also some stress
>>> tests with benchmarking using multiple WMS requests with on MapScript
>>> OWS as server backend did not cause problems.
>>>
>>> I sometimes noticed some irregular, strange, and difficult to reproduce
>>> problems with MS 6.0 and PHP Mapscript (Apache or CGI segfaults), but
>>> that was independent of PHP with Apache DSO or as CGI, and this never
>>> ever happened with MS 5.x.
>>>
>>> armin

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."
>
> "Don't you even hate 'em?"
>
> "What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."
>
> <Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."
>
> - Tarzan, on war

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying, fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....

- the wisdom of Tarzan