[mapserver-users] Automatic simplification based on resolution

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 06:32:34 PST 2013

Hi Jukka,

I often need to produce for our wms some light dataset using the
SimplifyPreserveTopology from postgis or spatialite.

The question is that this is usually need when the dataset is huge and many
complex.
But this is also the situation where using this algorithm often will be
produced some invalid geometry.

So after I produce a dataset light with the simplify I need to do an
correction using the makevalid when the isvalid is false.

So I guess is quite insicure to do an automatic simplify at the mapserver
level without a test and a correction of invalidity geometrics.

And the apply of the isvalid and makevalid is a too slow process to do it
realtime on a request.

Are you think to some other strategy that grant the production of a surely
valid geometry ?

Thx,

Andrea.

2013/12/31 Rahkonen Jukka <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi>

> Hi,
>
> Mapnik has such a feature
> http://blog.cartodb.com/post/20163722809/speeding-up-tiles-rendering
> Andrea Aime is experimenting with it with Geoserver and is reaching a 50%
> speedup.
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Some-interesting-optmizations-from-Jonathan-s-load-test-td5095839.html
> Can Mapserver do the same?
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-