[mapserver-users] encoding problem when using variable runtime substitution

Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca
Fri Jan 4 11:29:24 PST 2013

Hi,
I have a layer which connect to my postgis DB with client encoding
win1252.
CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
CONNECTION "host=serveurpg dbname=geo user=xxxpassword=xxx port=5432
options='-c client_encoding=WIN1252'"

That use to work for years, just before I start using variable
substitution.

My problem is when using runtime substitution in a FILTER
ex.: FILTER (periode = '%periode%' )

If I send a wms getmap request with the wms parameter periode = '2001 à
2003'

It seems that mapserver receive '2001 à 2003' encoded in utf-8, and tells
postgis that it is in win1252, so nothing is returned.

If I use CONNECTION "host=serveurpg dbname=geo user=xxxpassword=xxx
port=5432 options='-c client_encoding=utf-8'"
it works, but I don't want to do that because I'll have a lot of code and
mapfiles to change.

Is there a reason why mapserver would think a string is encoded in utf-8?
Maybe I'm totally on a wrong track, if so any idea where could be the
problem?

Thanks
steve