[mapserver-users] Slides for MapServer Project Report @foss4gna

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Jun 7 12:07:37 PDT 2013

Daniel,

My first blast at it was to concentrate on the LAYER tag as a blob in a database. There is definitely room on the DB side to split this blob out at some point, but first things first. This would simply be a method for aligning the LAYER content with the DATA being used for the layer. It would also allow us a method of abstracting out the cartography elements to a certain degree for letting the user define things. We use MapServer a little differently within GeoMoose in that every layer can have it's own mapfile, which abstracts things more than most installations.  We do still have some complicated multi-data layers however, and these may break the whole notion of DB stored fragments.

I've read the stuff on the DBINCLUDE as it's come along, and also added in the idea of doing a Web call in a similar fashion SCRIPTINCLUDE or URLINCLUDE might be better. I've done my share of PERL MapFile assemblers in my time with MapServer, so I'm keenly interested in where this all goes.  I've also tried some things with SLDs that fell short of providing the MapServer capabilities (in my mind) related to automation, etc.

I'll keep an eye out for progress on these items as then happen.

Thanks

Bobb