[mapserver-users] Shape files or KMLs- rendering which among this is faster?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jun 26 13:54:41 PDT 2013

Hi Sowmya,

In my hands-on training workshops for MapServer I still recommend
keeping things fast and efficient with shapefiles for vectors (with .qix
index files) and geotiffs for rasters (indexed with gdaltindex).  Of
course for clients I implement KML files and different database
backends, and speeds are still blazing fast, and then also these days
most implement caching of images (through the great project MapCache),
so some will argue that speed is not an issue: not me though, I still
recommend keeping thing blazing fast and optimal, even if you're seeding
a large cache.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna