[mapserver-users] Upgrading Apache and PHP that came with MS4W

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Fri Feb 28 05:18:52 PST 2014

Hello,

I think there are a lot of people in the same postion where we would like to upgrade Mapserver on Windows.  I think there are a couple mapserver options out there yet.

1) Move to Linux.  With the end of support for Windows XP coming up soon, I am sure that there will be plenty of extra computers around that you can try installing linux and mapserver on the machine.  I know historically mapserver on Linux outperformed mapserver on Windows.
2) Encourage continued development of MS4W.  A long time ago, I asked Jeff Mckenna about the Status of MS4W and how much it would cost to get an upgrade.  The price he gave to me was more than what I think my organization could afford.  However, I am sure if pool some development funds together from many organizations, then it may be easier for MS4W to keep up to date.

Thanks
Mark Volz, GISP