[mapserver-users] non spatial MSSQL data in a Layer JOIN

KenHeer1 kenheer1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 13:58:39 PST 2014

Daniel,
First off, thank you for the quick response. Been working on this and I am
now able to connect to database and query the table in question using OGR
without it having spatial data. Using ogrinfo I am able to send a simple
select statement and get the records I'm looking for so that works great.

So then my thought was to add the data using the connection with JOIN in the
layer definition in my map file, something like this:

JOIN
	NAME "myjoin"
	CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
	CONNECTION
"MSSQL:server=myserver\myinstance;database=dbname;UID=uid;PWD=uid;"
	TABLE "mytable"
	FROM "shapefilefilekey"
	TO "tablefieldkey"
	TYPE ONE-TO-ONE
END

but that didn't work. I'm assuming that this isn't working because JOIN only
supports DBF/XBase,CSV,PostrgreSQL, and MySQL.

So after reading through your reply again, I tried joining the datasources
using OGR SQL. Thinking maybe instead of adding a shapefile layer and then
joining the data in the mapfile, I could join the two datasources using OGR
SQL and add that as a layer. Following through the links you provided and
others I found, I can query the layer all day long, but I cannot access the
shapefile, or just the dbf, through sql to perform the join.

Thanks again for the earlier help, but did I miss something or maybe
misinterpret your suggestions?