[mapserver-users] Layer with over 6000 shapefiles

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Jan 29 09:40:49 PST 2014

This is less a mapserver issue than a data management issue - and shapefiles are not a particularly good way to manage data.

I suggest you look at a spatially enabled database, with attribute & spatial indexes, such as Postgis, instead of shapefiles as a data source. These are pretty much designed for such use cases.

That said, if you cannot use a spatial database in this case, you can do things with mapserver to improve things - like have multiple layers (though 6000 seems a bit excessive) in a single group - so addressable as a single layer but each with its own shapefile spatial index file.

Brent Wood