[mapserver-users] Mapcache Question

Travis Kirstine tkirstine at firstbasesolutions.com
Wed Oct 1 16:33:12 PDT 2014

Tim,

MapCache Is simply a tiling server.  It will take images from a source and
store them in a cache.  These tiles are exposed as services to clients -
WMTS, WMS, TMS etc...  MapServer on the other hand will read source data
(GIS files / database) and render images based on rules defined in the
mapfile.  These images are used as the source for MapCache.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Tim Nasman <tnasman at rollingleaf.com> wrote:

> I have read through the Mapcache documentation but I feel like I am
> missing some basic elements to how it works.
>
>  I am using Mapcache to display a mbtile that I have created. Now from
> what I understand, my mapcache .xml will list out the parameters of the
> mbtile and then I add a layer within my mapfile referencing the .xml which
> I should then be able to to use as WMTS using openlayers. I just haven't
> grasped how mapcache and mapserv work together so any clarification would
> be helpful. Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> Timothy Nasman
> Data Analyst | Programmer
> Rolling Leaf Inc.
> [V] : 910.274.1436
> [E] : tnasman at rollingleaf.com <jochs at rollingleaf.com>

  [image: FBS Logo]

*Travis Kirstine*, Web Development Supervisor
*t *905‑477‑3600* x *301 | *m *905‑534‑4798 |
tkirstine at firstbasesolution.com

*First Base Solutions Inc.*
140 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100 | Markham | Ontario | L3R 6B3
*t* 905‑477‑3600 | *f* 905‑477‑0892 | www.firstbasesolutions.com