[mapserver-users] Mapcache Question

Vladimir fl_v at inbox.ru
Fri Oct 10 00:23:32 PDT 2014

 Hello ALL!

I dig into MapCache now and my modest comprehension is:
1) MapCache uses Mapserv for seeding tiles or more exactly -
sends WMS request to Mapserv for getting a map:
<source>....</source> section in a mapcache.xml file

2) Ol uses MapCache for rendering that tiles or more exactly -
sends WMS(or other) request to MapCache:
new ol.layer.Tile({
source: new ol.source.TileWMS(({
url: 'myhost/mapcache/?',
params: {'LAYERS': 'mytileset'},
serverType: 'mapserver'
}))
})
where
/mapcache/ is path to a mapcache.xml(aliased through Apache),
'mytileset' is <tileset name="mytileset"> section in a mapcache.xml file

3)The Seeding and the rendering needs other configuration of mapcache.xml file(it is needs clarification).

4)The seeding may be through:
mapcache_seed -c mapcache.xml -t mytileset-g mygrid
or
during a certain map area is requested by client (it is needs clarification).
Thanks for any correction.
Best regards.

Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:33:12 -0400 от Travis Kirstine <tkirstine at firstbasesolutions.com>:
>Tim,
>
>MapCache Is simply a tiling server.  It will take images from a source and store them in a cache.  These tiles are exposed as services to clients - WMTS, WMS, TMS etc...  MapServer on the other hand will read source data (GIS files / database) and render images based on rules defined in the mapfile.  These images are used as the source for MapCache.
>
>On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Tim Nasman  < tnasman at rollingleaf.com > wrote:
>>I have read through the Mapcache documentation but I feel like I am missing some basic elements to how it works.
>>
>> I am using Mapcache to display a mbtile that I have created. Now from what I understand, my mapcache .xml will list out the parameters of the mbtile and then I add a layer within my mapfile referencing the .xml which I should then be able to to use as WMTS using openlayers. I just haven't grasped how mapcache and mapserv work together so any clarification would be helpful. Thanks for your time.
>>
>>--
>>Timothy Nasman
>>Data Analyst | Programmer
>>Rolling Leaf Inc.
>>[V] :  910.274.1436
>>[E] :  tnasman at rollingleaf.com

>--
>Travis Kirstine , Web Development Supervisor
>t  905‑477‑3600  x  301  | m  905‑534‑4798  | tkirstine at firstbasesolution.com
>First Base Solutions Inc.
>140 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100  | Markham  | Ontario  | L3R 6B3
>t  905‑477‑3600  | f  905‑477‑0892  | www.firstbasesolutions.com

Владимир