[mapserver-users] Mapserv executable and path on Ubuntu linux

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Oct 19 05:21:09 PDT 2014

On 2014-10-18 9:28 PM, William Hudspeth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have written my first mapfile, and I am trying to view a layer. I am
> using a time-enabled raster layer indexed in Postgis. I am a little
> confused about building the correct mapserv URL and referencing my
> mapfile. I am running Ubuntu linux 14.01, and trying to view my map from
> localhost. I have a path like this where I have the mapfile:
>
> /var/www/pm25/public_html
>
> The permissions on the mapfile are 755 with the owner myself, and the
> group is www-data.
>
> I am not sure how to construct a URL to point to mapserv and the mapfile
> to see a map....
>
> Thanks

Welcome to the MapServer community William!  Some thoughts:

- on Ubuntu 14.01 your mapserv executable likely lives at
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/mapserv

- test that you can call it in your browser, through a URL like
http://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?

- if you are using MapServer >= 6.0, then you can view your mapfile in
your browser with a URL such as
http://yourhost.org/cgi-bin/mapserv?MAP=/path/to/mapfile&MODE=browse&TEMPLATE=openlayers

More info on that handy way of viewing your mapfile is found here:
http://www.mapserver.org/cgi/openlayers.html

Have fun!

-jeff

--