[mapserver-users] The right character enconding for mapfile

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Nov 3 05:06:16 PST 2015

Hi,

I have noticed that the encoding must be "UTF-8 without BOM". Notepad++ has en encoding alternative "UTF-8" which seems to write "UTF-8 with BOM" and because of Byte order marker Mapserver does not accept such mapfiles. I am not sure if this is something to mention in the documentation or if it is rather a bug. Similar issue in GDAL was fixed by https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/30994

Migration guide is
http://mapserver.org/MIGRATION_GUIDE.html
Corresponding RCF is  http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-103.html

-Jukka Rahkonen-