[mapserver-users] Ping a WMS service.

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Apr 27 09:01:08 PDT 2016

All,

Not really MapServer specific, but possibly related, does anyone have an idea of how to best “ping” a WMS (and maybe also a WFS) to see if it’s active, only want to know that the service is active and able to take requests.

I’m thinking about building a Dashboard for our layers for checking their health.  I don’t want to use GetCapabilities if I can get away with it. We already have some similar tools for actually requesting the Image tiles, or other resources from MapServer WMSs.  Also, there may be some future additions for adding in Offsite WMS services being imported.  I want to start with our own services though.

The majority of our layers pass through MapServer, so maybe there is some trick for MapServer that would work.  Each of our layers has it’s own mapfile.  There is a consolidated WMS for all the layers as well, if there is a WMS specific way of doing this.

The intent is to run something that is really fast, or as fast as possible on a periodic basis.

Thoughts?

bobb

“There is nothing quite so useless as doing with great efficiency something that should not be done at all.”
                        - Peter Drucker