[mapserver-users] MapServer Projections and Extents Tutorial

Seth G geographika at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:38:30 PDT 2016

Hi all,

A draft tutorial has been completed on use of projections in MapServer:
https://geographika.github.io/tutorial/quickstart/projections.html
Comments and feedback welcome. This relates to
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-115.html

There are a couple of things I came across that are still unclear to me
relating to extents.

  * Setting the EXTENT for a map has no effect when accessing via WMS,
    apart from the BoundingBox of the GetCapabilities metadata. Data is
    not restricted/limited.Not setting this leaves the MAP level
    BoundingBox extent as -1,-1,-1,-1. Should the MAP EXTENT have any
    other effects?

  * The help for LAYER EXTENT states "In most cases you will not need to
    specify this, but it can be used to avoid the speed cost of having
    MapServer compute the extents of the data" - however all BoundingBox
    extents for each layer are automatically calculated from the source
    data in the WMS GetCapabilities request. I presume this could become
    quite slow with more and more layers. Is it/should it be recommended
    to manually set these (either with wms_extent in the LAYER METADATA
    or using LAYER EXTENT)?

Thanks for any clarifications on the above.

Regards,

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk