[mapserver-users] Label polygons outside [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Nov 11 06:28:19 PST 2016

On 11/11/2016 1:46 AM, Inna Nogeste wrote:
> I need to position the polygon label outside the polygon.
> Do I have to use OFFSET for this or is there another parameter I can use?
>
> Is there a way to label polygons so that they don’t collide with an overlaying/underlaying point symbol which is positioned in the centre of the polygon?

Use POSITION AUTO on you LABEL definition might help, but you might have
better luck if you only have two layers colliding by setting

POSITION UC
OFFSET 0 -10

on one layer an then:

POSITION LC
OFFSET 0 10

on the second layer. This will raise the first label and lower the
second label.

label1
   +      <-- label point
label2

For labels outside the polygon or to avoid collision with other labels
by using a leader line look at:
http://mapserver.org/mapfile/leader.html

-Steve W

---