[mapserver-users] New Raster MapServer Tutorial

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Sun Nov 27 10:04:22 PST 2016

Hi list,

I've completed a new tutorial for raster data in MapServer, and using
templates for querying.

https://geographika.github.io/tutorial/quickstart/raster.html

Comments and feedback welcome. This relates to
http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-115.html

A few items it would be useful to know further details on:

- Does anyone have recommendations on what output formats to use? There
are technical details at
http://www.mapserver.org/mapfile/outputformat.html but not much in the
way of recommendations. I guess if you need transparency you need the
default PNG32 format. It is slightly unclear how to reduce the default
PNG quality (if possible), or any advantages/disadvantages of using
CAIRO/PNG.

- There may be a bug in the raster querying code. Clicking on the sea in
the demo correctly returns RGB values of 10,10,51 for pixels
representing the sea. However to set these pixels to an alternate colour
the MAP file needed:

EXPRESSION ([red] = 10 AND [green] = 10 AND [blue] = 10)

https://geographika.github.io/tutorial/quickstart/raster.map.html#qs-raster-map

There may be an misunderstanding on my part, but it looks like the
[blue] should be 10 also.

Regards,

Seth

--