[mapserver-users] 3D / 2.5D / Coordinates with Z and GEOMETRY Type in WFS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jun 30 07:40:15 PDT 2017

On vendredi 30 juin 2017 09:59:30 CEST Daniel Morissette wrote:
> On 2017-06-30 9:50 AM, Even Rouault wrote:
> > I'm wondering if we shouldn't revisit the decision to have USE_POINT_Z_M
> > disabled by default. This is often annoying.
> >
> > Apparently, adding USE_POINT_Z_M defaulting to OFF was driven by
> > performance reasons per
> > https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/1244 . But this was 12
> > years ago. Perhaps with recent hardware the performance difference isn't
> > that big. The ticket unfortunately doesn't contain a test case to bench
> > (likely lots of lines/polygons, or large lines/polygons to render). If
> > the perf difference is still there, a more involved change would be
> > indeed to move the z and m components into separate arrays.
>
> #1244 refers to #1224 which is using the gmap demo mapfile... which is a
> relatively small dataset, so it should be easy to verify if the issue is
> still relevant on more recent hardware using gmap or probably any other
> dataset.
>
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver-import/issues/1224

OK, I downloaded
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/gmap-ms46.tar.gz
(not sure if there's a more uptodate version of it).
Added the necessary MAP and SYMBOLSET keywords in the mapfile and symbolset file.

With master, compiled in Release (-O3)

and the following Python mapscript bench.py
{{{
import mapscript

for i in range(200):
    map = mapscript.mapObj('gmap75.map')
    img1 = map.draw()
}}}

I ran it 10 times consecutively with each config and took the smallest time ("real" figure)

With USE_POINT_Z_M=OFF

time python bench.py

real		0m4.167s
user	0m3.964s
sys		0m0.200s

With USE_POINT_Z_M=ON

time python bench.py

real		0m4.252s
user	0m3.972s
sys		0m0.260s

So USE_POINT_Z_M=ON is 2% slower than OFF

On a recent (~ 1 year old) laptop with a
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

Even

http://www.spatialys.com