[mapserver-users] Understanding MapServer Memory Usage with WMS raster layers

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 15:39:21 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:23 PM, <lars.schylberg at blixtmail.se> wrote:

> Looking at the text just below these rows:
>

> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/66309eebb7ba0dc70469efeb40f865
> a8e88fafbd/mappool.c#L62-L65
>

> I see that there is an option that is not documented:
>

> CLOSE CONNECTION=NORMAL
>

> Shouldn't that option be described in the manual page for LAYER, even if
> it is the default behavior  ?

I noticed that too... What's the process to update the docs? Do I submit a
pull request to https://github.com/mapserver/docs ?

Even helped me realize another potential source of memory growth in
MapServer when reading imagery with /vsicurl/ and CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER:
 The config VSI_CACHE is per file handle!

> """
> The default size of caching for each file is 25 MB, and
> can be controlled with the VSI_CACHE_SIZE configuration option (value in
bytes).
> Content in that cache is discarded when the file handle is closed.
> """
> (
http://gdal.org/gdal_virtual_file_systems.html#gdal_virtual_file_systems_vsicache
)

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2017-October/047497.html

This thread explains a lot of confusion I had in the past couple of days
trying to understand high memory use in MapServer.

Cheers,
Pete