[mapserver-users] How to control the mime-type of MapCache-WMS outputformats

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Oct 30 04:44:29 PDT 2017

Hi,

We found on issue when updating MapCache to version 1.6 from some ancient version.
We have png-format configured to 8-bit by limiting the number of colors like

<format name="mypng" type="PNG">
  <compression>fast</compression>
  <colors>256</colors>
</format>

Now the WMS service is advertising this format with mime type "image/png; mode=8bit". However, we have existing applications which make GetMaps with plain "&FORMAT=image/png"  and that used to work with the old MapCache version.

Is there a way to override the mime type with the MapCache config file? I can see a promising  section in the RFC 119 http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-119.html

<format name="MVT" type="RAW">
  <extension>mvt</extension>
  <mime_type>application/vnd.mapbox-vector-tile</mime_type>
</format>

However, it is not clear from the documentation if mime_type configuration is supposed to work also for the image formats, and in which MapCache version.

-Jukka Rahkonen-