[mapserver-users] Mapsever Easter Egg

lars.schylberg at blixtmail.se lars.schylberg at blixtmail.se
Thu Mar 29 03:43:41 PDT 2018

Hello all Mapserver friends,

It is Easter time. So I thought it was time to share one Mapserver Easter Egg that I have found.
In some old mapfile examples it seems like there is a method to get transparent color by giving a -1 for the red value.
This is not documented, so I started to experiment.

You can find my experiments here:

https://gist.github.com/LarsSchy/df91553f1fda02196ba7881a129b4c64

You can test the example yourself by running shp2img.

shp2img -m polygon-fill-rgb.map -o polygon-fill-rgb.png

So if You would like to get a nice yellow color for the chickens use: -5 -20 0
To get a nice Santa red color use: -2 200 200
For a nice green color for green plants: 128 -2 128
Finally -255 -255 -255 gives You black color.

Have fun and a good weekend.

Lars Schylberg